Monday, October 27, 2014

“Well, he should have made a reservation. We get very busy for brunch.” -- hostess after turning Justice Alito away for brunch

Above the Law has a cute story about Justice Alito being turned away for brunch yesterday and how he handled it graciously.  This shouldn't be a big deal obviously, but when you have judges yelling at store clerks to take down signs, it's nice to hear that some judges have manners.

Anyway, three Justices were in New Haven giving a talk.  Per the NY Times:
Justice Thomas, 66, has apparently mellowed the most. He acknowledged being a “cynical and negative” law student, blaming immaturity and the unsettled political climate of the early 1970s. “I cannot say we were thinking straight about a lot of things, even if we were not using illegal substances,” he said.
“I wish I came here at a time when I could have been more positive,” he added. “There is so much here that I walked right by.”
For years, Justice Thomas had refused to return to Yale. In his 2007 memoir, “My Grandfather’s Son,” he wrote that his law degree had been tainted by affirmative action. He had, he wrote, “learned the hard way that a law degree from Yale meant one thing for white graduates and another for blacks, no matter how much anyone denied it.”
He added that he had “peeled a 15-cent price sticker off a package of cigars and stuck it on the frame of my law degree to remind myself of the mistake I’d made by going to Yale.”
***
Justice Sotomayor, 60, has written that she was admitted to the law school with the help of affirmative action and that she found her time here intimidating and inspiring. She has been a frequent visitor and honoree, often drawing huge crowds, particularly after the publication of her own memoir, “My Beloved World.”
On Saturday, she said she is a poor dancer but loves salsa and does well with a strong partner. “I have a facility that some of my colleagues would find very strange,” she said. “I can follow.”
Justice Alito looked shocked. “It’s a revelation to me that Sonia likes to follow,” he said. “I think we’re going to start dancing at conference.”
The justices were questioned by Kate Stith, a law professor at Yale. She asked Justice Alito what he had been reading.
“I have two books that are inspirational,” he responded. “I keep them on a table by my bed, and I try to read a little bit of them every night. It’s ‘My Grandfather’s Son’ and ‘My Beloved World.’ ”
***
The six other justices all attended Harvard Law School, though Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg transferred to and graduated from Columbia Law School.
Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., who has two Harvard degrees, was once asked whether it is healthy for the Supreme Court to consist of only justices with degrees from elite institutions.
“First of all, I disagree with your premise,” he responded. “Not all of the justices went to elite institutions. Some went to Yale.”

Speaking of judges having manners, Chief Judge Michael Moore says that Judge Cooke does not need to recuse in the Miccosukee case.  Judge Moore really did a solid for his colleague.  From the DBR:
Cooke was critical of Bernardo Roman III, the tribe's attorney who filed the federal litigation against his predecessors. Cooke said at one point that Roman "probably never read the rule of ethics."
"The court finds that these statements, while indicative of Judge Cooke's understandable frustration with the parties and proceedings, in no way demonstrate a bias or partiality," Moore wrote.
Cooke dismissed with prejudice the tribe's lawsuit on jurisdictional grounds against its former Miami attorneys: Guy Lewis and Michael Tein of Lewis Tein and Dexter Lehtinen of Lehtinen Schultz Riedi Catalano de la Fuente.
 Here's the whole order.

No comments: